Now that you’ve invested in a brand-new windshield, you’ll want to follow specific aftercare steps. How you treat your newly installed glass plays a major role in the longevity of your windshield. Follow these do’s and don’ts to get the most out of your investment.
- Wait the appropriate amount of time before driving your vehicle. Typically, this is about an hour, but your Auto Glass Services technician will review this with you. By waiting the recommended time, you’re allowing the adhesive to set and dry.
- Crack the windows open a bit. Air pressure can put extra stress on the seal around the windshield glass as it dries. High internal air pressure is one of the most common causes of cracked windshields. You can avoid this by simply keeping the windows down about an inch the day after the windshield is installed.
- Be gentle with your new windshield. Open and close the doors gently and avoid using your wipers for as long as possible.
- Drive extra carefully. Sure, we should always drive carefully. But after a new windshield installation, do your best to avoid potholes and bumps, drive slowly, and avoid slamming on the brakes. Following these tips will help to ensure your windshield stays in place, without any new cracks.
- Don’t get a carwash or use a power washer. Wait at least 48 hours before washing your car to allow the windshield adhesive to dry completely and the new moldings to set.
- Don’t remove the retention tape. Your Auto Glass Services technicians will use retention tape to hold the windshield moldings in place. This will protect the seal from the elements while it’s still drying. It may not look pretty, but it’s best to leave it alone the first 48 hours after installation.
- Don’t place any type of cover on the car. For the first 24 hours after installation, avoid using a cover on the exterior of the vehicle or a sunshade on the inside of the windshield.
Questions for our Auto Glass Services team? Contact us today!